Florida has quite a history of hurricanes. The hurricane events have led to the loss of lives and damage to property. That is why being lenient towards anything that can make you vulnerable is out of the question.
And, as a homeowner, you shouldn’t wait until it’s hurricane season to try and protect your home.
Be proactive during the off-season by assessing your home’s preparedness to withstand storms and bad weather.
Part of the preparedness should include upgrading your wind mitigation features, that is:
- Your doors and windows so they can withstand wind pressure
- The roof to wall attachment so they don’t get blown away in harsh weather
- The roofing materials, and roof coverings, should be able to shield your home from rains and winds.
- You should also add storm shutters/panels
- And finally, your building and roof shape should be resistant to high winds
Once you’ve updated these features, a windstorm mitigation inspection is recommended.
This kind of inspection is vital because it gives you a review of how strong your home is. You also get to know how to improve your home to make it more resistant to storm and wind damage.
You will also get written documentation which you can present to the insurance company for a premium discount.
The inspection usually is a comprehensive examination of your home’s windstorm features, which include:
- The home’s structural integrity
- Condition of the roof
- Storm panels/shutters
- The attic interior and garages
- Exterior doors and windows, including garage doors and skylights
- And the wall construction
You can also present documents of your recent upgrades to the inspector for a good credit score in the final report.
Ready for a wind mitigation inspection?
Our professionals at 2RT HOME INSPECTIONS specialize in home inspections. We provide an accurate picture of the home’s condition.
Call us today if you reside in Bradenton, FL, and surrounding areas.